Again, I ran into the problem of not having enough colors. The physical piece only took 5 colors (the tiny nose bits are the 5th). But the original sprite had at 9 I believe. There are 3 colors for the shadow effect, 2 for the brown fading, 2 for the nose, and the rest is obvious (the shadow itself is off-black). I realize that if I want greater depth in my pieces, I'll need to do the shadows but if I do not use the EXACT right color, The piece looks completely horrible. Lighting effects just look like sunburns or miscolors. It was hard to do, but I had to consolidate my colors/shadows into one, making the sprites look flat. I also found that stitching white/off-white/beige on white linen is a pain in the ass. I need good lighting to do it without messing up. You can see on the middle beige area where I was stitching while under bad lighting and "watching" a movie, haha.
Edit: yes, it is the cow from the original SNES Harvest Moon.